Press release: ITU launches annual award recognizing leadership in sustainable development through ICTs
Celebrating the power of information and communications technology to drive the global 2030 development agenda
New York, 27 September 2015 – ITU emphasized the vital role that information and communication technology (ICT) will play in meeting the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) at a special award ceremony held at UN Headquarters, New York yesterday which officially recognized nine Heads of State/Heads of Government for their efforts to improve access to ICT networks and services.
The ICTs in Sustainable Development Award re-affirms ITU’s commitment to enabling development through ICTs. Recipients of the prestigious award included:
- H.E. Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
- H.E. Mr Josaia Voreqe Bainimarama, Prime Minister of the Republic of Fiji
- H.E. Mr Ali Bongo Ondimba, President of the Gabonese Republic
- H.E. Mr Uhuru Kenyatta, President of the Republic of Kenya
- H.E. Dato’ Sri Mohd Najib bin Tun Haji Abdul Razak, Prime Minister of Malaysia
- H.E. Mr Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda
- H.E. General Prayuth Chan-ocha, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand
- H.E. Mr Tabaré Vázquez, President of the Eastern Republic of Uruguay
- H.E. Mr Meltek Sato Kilman Livtuvanu, Prime Minister of the Republic of Vanuatu.
Read the full text: www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/39.aspx