3rd ITU Green Standards Week to advance smart sustainable cities
The 3rd ITU Green Standards Week is set to tackle an agenda featuring ‘Smart Sustainable Cities’, e-waste, mobile device eco-rating schemes, and climate monitoring and disaster warning using submarine communications networks.
The 2013 event is being organized by ITU and hosted by Telefónica at its headquarters in Madrid, Spain, 16-20 September 2013, with partners comprising the Basel Convention,CEDARE, UNEP, UNESCO-IOC, the United Nations University, WMO and sponsors such as Huawei and Fujitsu.
Cities are the hubs of innovation that drive economic development, but, particularly in the early years of a city’s growth, urbanization can have adverse effects on the health of the environment and, consequently, that of citizens.
Governments, businesses and technologists are devising ways to encourage a 21st-century brand of urbanization that leverages ICTs to match technological and economic progress with improvements in environmental sustainability and social wellbeing. Standardization is a means through which to ensure that smart-city breakthroughs become accessible to all cities around the world, expanding the number of people to benefit from smarter ways of living and putting more minds to the task of building more environmentally responsible cities.
Green Standards Week’s agenda includes a High Level Segment on Smart Sustainable Cities, the second meeting of the ITU-T Focus Group on Smart Sustainable Cities, 17 September, as well as the prize-giving for the Telefónica-supported 3rd ITU Green ICT Application Challenge, 18 September. The week’s discussions will take shape as follows:
- 16 September 2013: ITU, UNEP, UNU, CEDARE Forum on e-Waste
- 17 September 2013 (morning): Forum on Greening Mobile Devices: Building Eco-Rating Schemes
- 17 September 2013 (afternoon): 2nd Meeting of the Focus Group on Smart Sustainable Cities
- 18 September 2013: High Level Segment on Smart Sustainable Cities
- 19-20 September 2013 (morning): 3rd ITU/WMO/UNESCO-IOC Workshop on Propelling a Pilot Project on Green Cables
- 20 September 2013 (afternoon): Closed Meeting of the ITU/WMO/UNESCO-IOC Joint Task Force on Submarine Communications Networks For Climate Monitoring and Disaster Warning
The event is free of charge and open to all interested parties, also offering online ‘remote participation’.
Interested stakeholders are invited to take up a sponsorship at ITU Green Standards Week 2013.
Green Standards Week will offer exceptional opportunities to reach highly influential audiences, both broad and targeted.
For more information on the programme and sponsorship opportunities, please contact:
- Cristina Bueti, Advisor on Environment and Climate Change, ITU, E-mail: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniela Torres, Head of Green ICTs and Environment, Telefónica, E-mail: email@example.com
Find more information, including practical information on hotels and visas and details of how to register as an onsite or online participant, here.
Find more information on ITU-T, the Environment and Climate Change here.